Re: RAC PARALLEL

  • From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tim@xxxxxxxxx" <tim@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 05:41:39 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Norman

________________________________
From: "Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini)"
<norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx" <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx>; "tim@xxxxxxxxx"
<tim@xxxxxxxxx>; "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 2:49 AM
Subject: RE: RAC PARALLEL

Morning Sanjay,

>> Can you please suggest as how the Top 5 Events suggest to go
>> fortuning the topmost SQL in "SQL Ordered by Reads"

The reason you need to look at the top few SQL statements "ordered by reads" is
because your top 5 events are:

db file sequential read 32,512,212 200,101 8 69.58 User I/O
DB CPU  40,112  11.30
db file scattered read 2,123,189 29,289 13 10.51 User I/O
db file parallel read 161,091 4,058 25 2.01 User I/O
PX Nsq: PQ load info query 20,702 3,689 189 1.23 Other

69.59% of your wait (Sorry Cary!) events are db file sequential reads. A
further 10.51% are db file scattered reads and 2.01% are db file parallel reads.

"Reads" is the clue, your top 5 wait events are predominantly "reads". So, you
look for the SQL doing the most reads and tune them. And don't forget, the best
way to tune an SQL statement is not to execute it - so, don't retrieve data
unless you have to.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
Capgemini Database Build Team
Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk