RE: RAC - Low FILE DESCRIPTOR LIMIT

  • From: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>, <shivaswamykr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:11:46 -0700

Greetings,

I think MetaLink note 166650.1 is useful for someone who is unfamiliar
with MetaLink and will help navigate what is there. Unfortunately it
doesn't compensate for front line support people who don't have the
expertise to answer a question quickly. I have found this to be true
especially when requesting assistance with RAC difficulties. Trying to
get assistance in this area can be quite challenging as it seems like
many of the front line support people are unfamiliar with RAC setup and
implementation. My suggestion would be to wait a couple of days after
initiating the SR and if you don't have an answer in that period
escalate the SR. I have had several experiences like this. Most recently
after an O/S upgrade a full RMAN backup would cause problems on the node
the backups were running on. After 6 weeks of going round and round with
support and being asked to do many things which made no sense, either to
me or the sysadmin I finally escalated the SR. The next analyst told me
within a very short time of investigating the problem that there was a
known issue with the patch level of RHEL3 we had just applied. When I
asked why front line support was not aware of this if it was a known
problem he wasn't really able to give me a good answer. My suggestion,
escalate SRs quickly, you might, but not always, find someone who can
answer your question.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis