RAC Full cluster outage (almos)

  • From: LS Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:35:41 +0100

Hi

A couple of days one of my customers faced a almost full cluster outage in a
2 node 10.2.0.4 RAC on Sun Solaris 10 Sparc (full oracle stack).

The sequence was as follows

1. node 2 lost private network, interface went down
2. node 1 evicts noe 2 (as expected)
3. node 1 then evicts himself
4. after nodes 1 returned to the cluster and cluster reformed from 1 node to
two nodes, node 2 lost private network again and this time eviction occurs
in node 2

So it was not really a full cluster outage but the eviction occured one
after another so it looked full outage to the users.

My doubt is, in a nodes cluster node 1 always survives which is not in this
case. My only theory is node 2 was so ill that it could not reboot the
server, node 1 then evicts himself to avoid corruptions.

Any more ideas?

Cheers

--
LSC