RAC 10.1.0.3 VIP and instance availability, what is expected behaveoir

  • From: steen bartholdy <steenbdkoraclel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist oracle <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:31:08 +0100 (CET)

hi
  2 nodes RAC on AIX instance and CRS version 10.1.0.3
  We have a setup where we are independent of the VIP adresses for production
use.
  We had an incedent where 1switch failed where both VIP adresses is connected,
not smart but true.
  I observed this from syslog :
  CRS tries 3 times to move each VIP adress to the other side.
  >> ifconfig delete and alias commands <<
  This happendend on both sides.
  When this didnt work ( hardware malfunction on switch ) shutdown started on
plab2

Mon Mar 13 13:26:36 2006
Shutting down instance: further logons disabled
  Mon Mar 13 13:26:39 2006
Shutting down instance (transactional local)
Mon Mar 13 13:26:55 2006
Reconfiguration started (old inc 2, new inc 3)
List of nodes:
 1
 Global Resource Directory frozen
 * dead instance detected - domain 0 invalid = TRUE
 Update rdomain variables
 Communication channels reestablished
 Master broadcasted resource hash value bitmaps
 Non-local Process blocks cleaned out
Mon Mar 13 13:26:55 2006
<<
  so before this shutdown complete before plab1 started and completed shutdown :

  Mon Mar 13 13:26:43 2006
Shutting down instance: further logons disabled
  Mon Mar 13 13:26:50 2006
ALTER DATABASE DISMOUNT
Completed: ALTER DATABASE DISMOUNT
<<
  is it expected behaveoir that both sides shutdown ? is the reason for the
shutdown the missing VIP's ?
  Where do I see if CRS has detected that the interconnect was down ?
  Thanks In advance
  SteenB, Denmark