RE: Quota on TEMP

  • From: "Christian Antognini" <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kennaim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:16:54 +0200

Ken

> I don't see the benefit of this feature; if the user needs to run
> the query for a valid business purpose and the query is written
> well (i.e. not missing a join etc.) then the temp space should be
> created large enough to accommodate it. If the user doesn't need
> to run the queries or doesn't know how to write well formed queries
> then he shouldn't be allowed to write them to begin with, especially
> in production and a request made to the reporting staff for the
> data.

In an ideal world I'll agree with you, i.e. such a feature is not
necessary.

Unfortunately, at least here in Europe, we don't live in an ideal
world... Therefore sometimes such a feature could be very useful! Like
hints or at least other 42 features are...

An example: Last week I was by a customer where lot of reports are based
on SQL scripts which are started through SQL*Plus. The scripts are
changed on a daily/weekly basis and directly "tested" on production!
Bleark, I agree. I let you imagine the problems the DBAs over there have
to face...

Just my 2 cents,
Chris