Re: Queueing Connections

  • From: Mark Bole <makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:18:50 -0700

MacGregor, Ian A. wrote:

Is there any way to queue connection requests? This is not for interactive processing,
but for jobs which could take hours to days. Here is the problem.
We have a batch farm of several thousand machines. A phtsicist want to process a
million plus events. The bach form assigns the task to a few thousand machines.
These machines try to log onto the database simultaneously and start querying.
However the database itself cannot support thousands of active sessions. What is wanted
is for the database to allow onto itself the number of sessions in can process,
and the others be queued to be let on as others logoff.

I'm looking at shared servers. I have always found them wanting; also,
if thousands of processes are active simultaneously, then shared servers will
ot provide the complete answer.

Consider Resource Manager (requires Enterprise Edition -- you didn't state your version).

"[Resource Manager allows you to] create an active session pool. This pool consists of a specified maximum number of user sessions allowed to be concurrently active within a group of users. Additional sessions beyond the maximum are queued for execution, but you can specify a timeout period, after which queued jobs will terminate."

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com