Queueing Connections

Is there any way to queue connection requests?  This is not for interactive
processing, but for jobs which could take hours to days.  Here is the problem.
We have a batch farm of several thousand machines.  A phtsicist want to process
a million plus events.  The bach form assigns the task to a few thousand
machines.   These machines try to log onto the database simultaneously and
start querying.  However the database itself cannot support thousands of active
sessions.  What is wanted is for the database to allow onto itself the number
of sessions in can process, and the others be queued to be let on as others
logoff.

I'm looking at shared servers.  I have always found them wanting; also, if
thousands of processes are active simultaneously, then shared servers will not
provide the complete answer.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx