Re: Questions regarding using SRDF versus Dataguard

  • From: "LS Cheng" <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: binhpham15@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:47:31 +0200

I can think about some points using DG over SRDF

1. For SRDF you need high bandwidth and low latency communcation line, AFIAK
the finest level is a block so whenever there is a small change a block is
replicated/mirrored
2. SRDF replicates everything including corruptions
3. Some remote mirroring protections, I am not sure if SRDF would come into
this category, can span to a limited distance whereas with DG thousands of
miles is not uncommon
4. DG restarts itself after a failover
5. You can do rolling upgrades for one off patches using DG
6. With DG you can use your Standby Database for some other purposes

Thanks

--
LSC

On 6/16/07, Binh Pham <binhpham15@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My shop is considering using either one of these products for DR.

My questions are:

1. What are the reasons to use one over the other?
2. Advantages and disadvantages of each product

Thanks in advance for any input.

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i'm Initiative now.
It's free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07