Re: Questions for a Jr. DBA

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx, sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 11:14:40 -0800 (PST)

I've tried to follow this thread, but yes, I'm really bad at that these days
with the amount of hours I'm putting in, so I'll just jump in here and cross my
fingers... :)

I'm going to add to Niall's...

In all DBA interview situations, the team should be of high consideration, too.

Although we can't be psychologists, I always ask these questions to myself
during the interview process:
1.  How does the candidate's personality and skillset complement the current
DBA's in the group?
2.  Are their personality conflicts that could be detrimental to the group?
3.  How in the long term will this person find the position, (challenging,
stifling, i.e. short-term fit, etc...)

Personality and mindset is as important as the person's skills in how they will
fit into the team.

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform Database Administrator
www.pythian.com