Re: Questions for a Jr. DBA

  • From: Stefano Cislaghi <s.cislaghi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 07:59:37 +0100

Hi,

I agree with your question, but maybe the hard problem is to define
the meaning of 'junior'.
IMHO a junior DBA must have a knowledge of oracle internal memory
structures. The theory involves process of commit, rollback,
checkpoint.
Knowledge of hard parse and soft parse.
I think your questions can be too easy also for a junior DBA. I think
that a junior DBA should be able to administrer a database during a
normal running period.
Also I think that theory is more important than remembering commands.
If you know exactly how to extend and shrink a datafile and any
behaviour related to this operation, is not a problem if you don't
remember the complete command sintax. I prefer you know how a thing
works instead you know a command to do an operation without having any
knowledge on it.

Stefano

--
http://www.stefanocislaghi.eu