Question re asm disks

  • From: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 09:37:00 -0700

Greetings,

I hope this isn't a naïve question but anyway, I am using ASM on a two node RAC
cluster, Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 SE on Red Hat EL4. The raw devices look like this...

crw-rw----  1 root   dba 162,  1 May  6 14:45 /dev/raw/raw1
crw-rw----  1 oracle dba 162, 10 May  6 14:45 /dev/raw/raw10
crw-rw----  1 oracle dba 162, 11 May  7 10:36 /dev/raw/raw11
crw-rw----  1 root   dba 162,  2 May  6 14:45 /dev/raw/raw2
crw-r--r--  1 oracle dba 162,  3 May  6 14:45 /dev/raw/raw3
crw-r--r--  1 oracle dba 162,  5 May  6 14:45 /dev/raw/raw5
crw-r--r--  1 oracle dba 162,  6 May  6 14:45 /dev/raw/raw6
crw-rw----  1 oracle dba 162,  7 May  6 14:45 /dev/raw/raw7
crw-rw----  1 oracle dba 162,  8 May  6 14:45 /dev/raw/raw8
crw-rw----  1 oracle dba 162,  9 May  6 14:45 /dev/raw/raw9

I know which are used for the CRS and voting disks but I am trying to determine
which of the others make up the ASM disk groups and I can't find information on
how to do that. The disk groups have been provisioned using asmlib. Querying
v$asm_disk returns the following...

SQL> select group_number,name,substr(path,1,30) from v$asm_disk;

GROUP_NUMBER NAME                           SUBSTR(PATH,1,30)
------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------
           0                                /dev/raw/raw10
           0                                /dev/raw/raw9
           0                                /dev/raw/raw8
           0                                /dev/raw/raw7
           0                                /dev/raw/raw6
           0                                /dev/raw/raw5
           0                                /dev/raw/raw3
           0                                /dev/raw/raw11
           0                                /dev/raw/raw1
           0                                /dev/raw/raw2
           1 VOL1                           ORCL:VOL1
           1 VOL2                           ORCL:VOL2
           2 VOL3                           ORCL:VOL3

For example which of the raw devices are mapped to VOL1? I suspect I am not
understanding something or else just have not found the appropriate view to
query but if someone can help me out I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center