Re: Question re Database Duplication

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 23:42:14 -0800 (PST)

I believe you can do this using RMAN.... Off the top of my head:

1. Upgrade to in place on the 32 bit box. Upgrade the EE at the same

2. Use the transportable tablespace features of Oracle to move the datafiles. I
think (though I've never done it) that you can move the datafiles from 32-bit
to 64-bit without converting them. Looking at some Doc this appears to be the
case, but I'd do a small test first to be sure. If you have to convert you can
use RMAN and cross-platform transportable tablespaces, move from the 32 bit box
to the 64 bit box.

3. Fire it up.

Bada boom, you are done.

 Robert G. Freeman
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now...
The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in
good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking
the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)