RE: Question on FireWire drive model for Oracle RAC

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ranko.mosic@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:04:51 +0800

Hm,

> The only problem with NetApp is you have to be thir customer.

Now I checked their download page, yep you need some existing customer ID
for downloading the netapp simulator.
Thats kind of lame, why the heck would I need a simulator if I already got
the product..

But anyway, that's no problem, as you can do RAC using plain NFS as well, as
long as you use correct mount options (metalink note: 359515.1)

> Firewire disk you can buy for $250, couple of network cards and you have
real 2 node RAC.

NFS is "free" plus it scales to more than just couple of nodes. 2 node RAC
is quite pointless anyway,

> VmWare is good, but doesn't give you real RAC "feel" since it happens on
one box.

You won't get real RAC feel on a single firewire disk either, because of
this physical disk performance constraints I mentioned in my previous post.
So as neither of the approaches aren't good enough for real peformance
testing, why waste the money and be stuck with Linux OS when going with
firewire...

Tanel.

  _____