Re: Question on FireWire drive model for Oracle RAC

  • From: "Ranko Mosic" <ranko.mosic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 10:24:48 -0400

The only problem with NetApp is you have to be thir customer.
Firewire disk you can buy for $250, couple of network cards and you have
real 2 node RAC.
VmWare is good, but doesn't give you real RAC "feel" since it happens on one
box.

On 8/24/06, Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Amir,

I wouldn't recommend spending money and time on hacking RAC working on a
firewire disk.

If your whole database with all accompanying files is on this single disk,
then many sorts of performance experimentation will be bottlenecked by
seek
time of this disk. For example when you test Cache Fusion, then any redo
related to a block must be flushed to disk before it can shipped to
another
node, meaning waiting for log file IO even if you don't commit.

So, if you don't need any performance experimentation, the easiest way
would
be going with vmware / Oracle desktop datacentre bundle.

If you want to test this on dedicated boxes, then it would make more sense
to use NFS or the NetApp simulator..

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/garg-netapp-simulator.html

Tanel.

Regards,
Ranko Mosic
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
B. Eng, Oracle 10g, 9i Certified Database Professional
Phone: 416-450-2785
email: mosicr@xxxxxxxxxx
http://ca.geocities.com/mosicr@xxxxxxxxxx/ContractSeniorOracleDBARankoMosicMain.html