RE: Question of degrees in Oracle DB recovery

  • From: "Nelson, Allan" <anelson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:12:39 -0500

You don't really need TSPITR if you loose the whole db.  What you would
need is to be running the database in archive log mode and be backing up
both the database files and all archived logs.  Your cold backup could
then be flexibly rolled forward to what ever point in time you wanted
to.

TSPITR on the other hand allows you to work at the single tablespace
level.  Suppose someone drops an object or commits something that they
really didn't want to. Or suppose that someone deletes a file from a
tablesapce by accident.  These are example scenarios where TSPITR would
be used.

Allan