From: Amaral, Rui [mailto:Rui.Amaral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:11 PM
To: Storey, Robert (DCSO); oracle-l-freelists
Subject: RE: Question for Dataguard users

One setup that worked for me when I played with it (we decided to eventually go
with a network based switch method for other reasons [like jdbc can't parse
those sorts of connections strings]) was something like this:

db_connect=

 (DESCRIPTION=

  (ADDRESS_LIST=

   (LOAD_BALANCE=off)

    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=server1)(PORT=1521))

    (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=server2)(PORT=1521)))

  (CONNECT_DATA=

     (SERVICE_NAME=db_service_name)

     (FAILOVER_MODE=

       (TYPE=select)

       (METHOD=basic)

       (RETRIES=20)

       (DELAY=15))))

With load_balance=off the connect attempts to access he db via the first entry
and makes 20 attempts with a 15 second delay between attempts then tries the
next entry in sequential order.  Worked fine with the standard oci client but
your mileage may vary on your environment.