RE: Question about Oracle Partitioning (When to consider it?)

  • From: "Ric Van Dyke" <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:16:40 -0600

The general guide line is a table over 2 Gig is a candidate for
partitioning.

That being said the goal of partition is either for Administrative or
Performance reasons.  Both might be accomplished but one of the two will
need to take precedence.

If it's a Admin thing, like rolling off data, then partitioning by
something like date could make sense.  This way you can easily drop off
partitions as they "age out".

If you are trying to improve performance then the partitioning key is
likely more tricky.  You will need to partition by something that is
often (maybe always) used in a query's where clause. The classic example
here is account number.  If you are always selected by account number
that might be a good key.  I worked on a system years ago where they
were able to do an account number like field and a date field for the
partition key (it was range/hash as I recall).  Just by partitioning the
table a particular critical query went from 64,000 LIOs down to 64.
Many others went down as well, some stayed the same and no query went up
as I recall.

So the first question is, why are you partitioning?  Admin or
Performance

Then if it's an admin thing, what do you want to do?  Roll off data?
Help affinity for RAC? Just organize the data into smaller pieces?

If it's Performance, what are the key fields that are used in your
critical queries?  Can you construct a partition key based on these
fields that will reduce the number of blocks scanned for your queries?

Some times you can help both, but don't count on it.

Ric Van Dyke

Hotsos Enterprises

Hotsos Symposium

March 7 - 11, 2010