RE: Question about Dual

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:19:55 +0100 (BST)

I'd guess its reduction in latching costs.  There's no such thing as consistent
read with x$
tables, so you don't need to latch them etc etc - you just go grab the data and
you're done.

Interestingly, Oracle seem to have "given up" on people's predilection with
unneccesarily querying
from dual.  In v10, there's a new optimization which skips the query to dual
altogether.

Cheers
Connor

 --- ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> does anyone know why x$dual has the reduce overhead? How is Oracle managing
> the memory
> structure? Most x$tables incur serious performance problems. I would be
> hesitant to use it,
> unless I knew more about what was going on internally.

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"
ISBN: 1590592174

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"