RE: Question about Append hint in Insert

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:06:09 -0400

Harvinder,

1.)  Should be no real disadvantage, other than an exclusive lock on the
table.  More on that later.
2.)  Hint will only apply to table.  Any index updates that result from
table load will always log.  If you want to, you could alter index ...
unusable, then do the load, then alter index ... rebuild nologging;
3.)  The problem here is that an INSERT /*+ APPEND */ takes an
*exclusive* lock on the table.  This prevents any other DML from running
on the table till that transaction commits.  The second process will
wait on the exclusive mode TM enqueue that the first process is holding.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA