Question: Oracle Backup to NAS Device SATA vs.. SCSI vs. $$$

  • From: "Henslee, Jeff" <jhenslee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:23:40 -0600

Environment: Solaris 8, Oracle 8.1.7.4 (250+GB), Recovery Manager, =
Legato Networker, AIT-3 Tape

Question:
We're looking to speed up our backup window (and recovery should we ever =
need it) by investing in a NAS device to backup our database hot in the =
wee morning hours using Recovery Manager and Legato Networker.  Then =
performing a file system backup to backup from the NAS to tape during =
the day.

Question for anyone using NAS devices in this fashion.  Would disk =
drives with SATA technology be "strong" enough to help me shorten our =
backup window?  I know that SCSI technology would be better but with our =
budget constraints it's just at the top of our available budget dollars.

Any experiences (positive or negative) out there from anyone using NAS =
devices in this fashion would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jeffrey C. Henslee (Chico)
Six Sigma Green Belt
Wausau Window and Wall Systems