Re: Q:Partial backup database using rman

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AmihayG@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:39:56 +0200

Backup should include controlfile and required datafiles + redo logs (if
online backup)

Restore:
1. Restore controlfile from backup copy
2. Drop files you don't need "ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE ... OFFLINE DROP"
3. Recover (if online backup)
4. Open (perhaps, resotlogs depending on point in time)
5. Drop objects that were in "non-restored" tablespaces
6. Apply functional scripts to get back objects that were not recovered.

I would recommend to put objects that don't need recovery into separate
tablespaces/schemas to simplify recreation during recovery. The process is
quite simple if you define precise criteria of what should be dropped and
what should be recovered. You can consider export of object definitions
without data so that this dump can be imported during recovery process.
And... test, test, test... ;-)

Hth,
Alex

--