Re: [Q] How to do ORACLE RAC load balance?

  • From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 05:43:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi MccDBA:

I think you are (or he is ) talking about Listener Load Balancing. In
LLB we register the listener name and addresses to all nodes using
local listener and remote listener parameters.  PMON process updates
the CPU load (plus some other stuff) to the other listener once in 5
minutes and the new connections are routes to the least loaded node.

However, this may be of an issue when all connections comes in a period
of 5 minutes (like 'logon storms'). In this case you should not depend
on LLB and use the CTLB (Connect time Load Balancing or Client Side
Load Balancing) using the TNSNAMES.ORA file. This is just a round robin
load balancing as one connection go to one instance and other
connection goes to other instance.. etc.

I am not an Application Server/Mid Tier expert. So I leave that
question to some one else.

--- dba1 mcc <mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I attended ORACLE seminal and speaker mention ORACLE
> RAC check each node "PMON" to decide "load balance".
> He also suggest use "connection pool (mid tier)" for
> load balance instead of client/server.  I don't quite
> understand what he said and have some questions:
>

> 1. How to check "PMON" to know each node system load?
>
> 2. why "connection pool" will have better loas
> balance?

=====
Have a nice day !!
Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan,
Co-Author: Oracle Wait Interface: Oracle Press 2004.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/007222729X/