Re: Puzzled by datatypes

  • From: "Anurag Varma" <avoracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 19:54:46 -0500

Bill,

Its possible that developers forgot how it was created .. or they might have
created it
from a table which had the problem in the first place. The key point is that
the
problem exists and the resolution is noted in the metalink Note...

For example:

ORA92> create table x1 as select * from x1@remotedb;

Table created.

ORA92> desc x1
Name                                                              Null?
Type
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------
NUMBER
TIMESTAMP(6)

ORA92> select column_name, data_type, data_length, data_scale from
user_tab_columns where table_name = 'X1';

COLUMN_NAME          DATA_TYPE            DATA_LENGTH DATA_SCALE
-------------------- -------------------- ----------- ----------
A                    NUMBER                        22
B                    TIMESTAMP(0)                  11          0

ORA92> create table x2 as select * from x1;

Table created.

ORA92> desc x2
Name                                                              Null?
Type
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------
NUMBER
TIMESTAMP(6)

ORA92> select column_name, data_type, data_length, data_scale from
user_tab_columns where table_name = 'X2';

COLUMN_NAME          DATA_TYPE            DATA_LENGTH DATA_SCALE
-------------------- -------------------- ----------- ----------
A                    NUMBER                        22
B                    TIMESTAMP(0)                  11          0

Now I can say that X2 was not created via CTAS from remote db link :)

Let us know if the fix in that note solved your issue ... I can see this bug
to potentially
cause issues for folks who are using exp/imp to upgrade dbs...

Anurag

On 3/2/07, William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Anurag,

I saw that note but I did not try it as I was assured by the developers
that the table was not created using CTAS via a database link. I guess I
should just go ahead and try it anyway.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis