Re: Projecting resource requirements

  • From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dnt9000@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 06:59:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi David,

> I'm ok with disk consumption but cpu and memory
> seem harder to project.
Not sure why are you saying that. I found the most
complex to find out I/O requirements. You should be
aware that disk capacity sizing is not only about the
"size" but about I/O throughput expressed in random
I/O and MB/s whatever higher.

Also the overall system needs to be in the perfect
balance to save the money or you can have something
more then others. But the memory to I/O balance is
very important. That means you cannot do sizing of
memory without sizing of I/O. Less memory will usually
cause more I/O.

> give me the list of questions/queries they will be
> asking and the frequency of each.
Exactly, you need to find the top SQL consumers, the
frequency, the timeframe for executing them.
You should size for the peak hour. It can be 10% of
the daily volume but can be less or more.

Based on SQL's and db schema it is possible to predict
how much CPU it is going to use.

Somebody said spreadsheets are usually no useful, but
it is not about spreadsheets or manual process. It is
about the logic behind, how are you calculating first
CPU usage.
Either manual process or spreadsheet may be wrong.

After that you need to size the memory probably based
on the proper data working set, where you need to
predict what is that size on the knowledge how is app
working and what is doing, mostly based on the top SQL
consumers. Then you need to find out how much logging
you are going to have per second, how much DBWR writes
to predict the I/O throughput needed.

Of course choosing architecture that is extendable
will give you some future growth.

I had the situations where the customer wanted us to
size for the year 2007.

Do not forget the backlog processing. If the system
can be down for some time, when you recover the system
it needs to process the time that it did not.

We had the systems where we needed to process 3 days
worth of data in 1 day. Whatever is higher: busy hour
per normal processing or average hour for these 3 days
you need to size the HW for it.

I have never seen such a complex tool that is
providing so many input parameters to be set.

Regards,
Zoran

--- David Turner <dnt9000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can anyone point me to some documents on calculating
> resource requirements for a project? I'm ok with
> disk
> consumption but cpu and memory seem harder to
> project.
>
> What I've done so far is get their ERD and ask them
> give me the list of questions/queries they will be
> asking and the frequency of each. If there's a doc
> out
> there with a formal list of questions and some of
> the
> process you go thru to determine resource
> consumption
> that would be great.
>
> Thx, Dave

> Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!