Re: Process Trumps Technology - Oracle Related? Maybe. Need Incisive Thinking

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rich Jesse <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:42:38 -0400

Challenger:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster

Use as case study
The Challenger accident has frequently been used as a case study
in the study of subjects such as engineering safety, the ethics of
whistle-blowing, communications, and group decision-making. It is part
of the required readings for engineers seeking a professional license
in Canada[51] and other countries. Roger Boisjoly, the engineer who had
warned about the effect of cold weather on the O-rings, left his job at
Morton Thiokol and became a speaker on workplace ethics.[52] He argues
that the caucus called by Morton Thiokol managers, which resulted in
a recommendation to launch, "constituted the unethical decision-making
forum resulting from intense customer intimidation."