Re: Problems retaining what I study

On 8/19/05, Ram K <lambu999@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Recently this happened to me. I studied a good Oracle book by an
> author some months ago. It was a tough read for me, took several weeks
> to study, understand some important parts of the book.
>
> I had emailed several queries to the author. He had responded to me
> with his answers after 3 months. To my surprise, I found out that I
> had forgotten my own questions to the extent that I could not even
> understand them on the first pass in the response email. They looked
> too technical for me. I spent quite a bit of time just on the replies
> and my questions and then I was able to understand most of the
> questions.
>
> How do people who read lots of technical stuff remember and retain
> what they read?
>
> How many hours of reading do other DBAs put in per week and do others
> have problems retaining what they read?

Pain.
the larger the amount of pain involved in debugging something, the
better I remember it.
was there a recovery with downtime involved, say due to file
corruption caused by a faulty RAID controller?
you'll remember every detail (and want to forget it).

Arrogance.
how much fun will it be to prove someone else wrong with it - in
battle over on c.d.o.s. or commenting on a forum/blog.

Coolness factor
how much fun will it be to share it with your other dbas and developers?

if its boring, its getting flushed out.

Pd