Re: Problem with lob segments extending in 10.1.0.5

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:29:59 +1000

Allan Nelson wrote,on my timestamp of 18/07/2007 10:26 PM:

My question involves the logsegment error. I tried adding a 2GB data file which had no effect. I then turned on autoextend on one of the datafiles and Hey Presto! the lobsegment errors went away although not the ORA-0600 errors. Has anyone seen this before? Is it a bug or a feature?

BTW, because of time constraints I went back to interpreted mode and got on with the upgrade.

It's both.  Or rather, the reason both Oracle and Peoplesoft
to this day still use LONG instead of BLOB or CLOB.
The problem is any type of automation of the segment space
management:  if your tablespace has got Automatic Segment
Space Management - ASSM - turned on, you'll see this when the
LOBs start getting heavy updats.

Try and remove ASSM from SYSTEM and indeed any tablespace
that has LOBs.  If you can't, then the next best bet is
to search Metalick to see if Oracle has finally fixed the
bug - been there since 9i, search for "600" and "CLOB" or
"LOB"... - rather than telling everyone to upgrade to
10.2.0.3 (or 11g, which isn't even downloadable yet...).
I had this same problem nearly two years ago.
It caused no end of trouble...

See also here:
http://dbasrus.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html
for some more goodness on coping with LOB bugs,
er... sorry, I meant features.  Yeah, that's it.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto