RE: Problem with OUI and SSH

  • From: "Jeremiah Wilton" <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:27:03 -0800

I agree with Mladen about what OUI stands for.  It is one more facility
provided by Oracle that is designed without any notion of the fact that it
is likely to run on a headless server somewhere other than where the DBA is
located.

Other such facilities include OTN downloads, e-Delivery downloads and
Metalink SR file upload, all of which need a graphical browser.  Of course
there are ticks to get around these -- lynx with SSL, or wget with a
borrowed cookies file (thanks Pythian) -- but they are achieved through the
wiles of clever DBAs, not any effort on Oracle's part.

The OUI does provide a silent install feature that allows you to perform
installs without an X display.  When the OUI first began to plague us in
version 8, many of us tried the advertised silent install feature, and found
it unusable and broken, just like the rest of the OUI.  Over the years, it
did not appear to improve.  I used to be so frustrated by the ridiculous OUI
that I would submit a new enhancement request every couple months
complaining that it was unusable by anyone installing over a slow VPN or any
line with high latency.

The OUI is still a piece of garbage unsuitable for enterprise software like
Oracle, but I just tried silent install on 10.2.0.1 and the 10.2.0.2
patchset and found that it worked perfectly.

I wish Oracle would make an announcement when a chronically broken feature
actually becomes usable.

BTW, when you are using the OUI in graphical mode, it displays little ad-y
blurbs in the corners about the great new features of Oracle that you are
installing.  I watched with irritation as it proudly declared one new
feature of 10g RAC: "ROLLING UPGRADES"!!   :-@

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net

From: Jeffery Thomas

Well, that did the trick.    I unset LANG and the installer ran.     FWIW,
LANG is not set on the other boxes, it was only set on this one box, and the
value was:  en-US.UTF-8.

On 12/27/06, Ghassan Salem <salem.ghassan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
what setting do you have for LANG in your env? and do you have any NLS_LANG
set?

On 12/27/06, Jeffery Thomas < jeffthomas24@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm getting the following error when attempting to invoke 10g OUI on
a new Solaris 10 box.   I connect to the new server via xhost +, ssh -X,
and can invoke the standard xWindows utilities such as xclock.   My
Google-Fu
skills seem to indicate that this is some sort of connection-forwarding
problem, but still, only OUI is balking.

BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
BadAccess (attempt to access rivate resource denied)
X Error of failed request: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 20 (X_GetProperty)

Perhaps this is due to the older version of ssh we are running?

ssh -V
SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.