Problem with EM dbconsole reinstall on 10gR1 RAC/ASM

  • From: mhthomas <qnxodba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle Discussion List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 18:17:12 -0400

Hi,

When I restore a 10gR1 Standard Edition RAC/ASM database
on a server, I attempt to run dbca and 'reconfigure' the system
with EM dbconsole for that cluster/node. Steps below seem
to have worked the best after many trial and errors, and tests.

Ironically, after step #5, dbconsole is installed but the web
interface never works properly. Therefore, I am forced to
perform step #6 to get EM working on my RAC system.
(my questions are below these steps).

1) shutdown dbconsole, maybe reboot to kill random
java threads
2) drop only EM directory under ORACLE_HOME, e.g.
cd $ORACLE_HOME
rm -rf myhost.mydomain_mysid1
3) reinstall EM software, OUI advanced uninstall EM,
reinstall EM (optional)
4) drop EM respository from database
$ cd $ORACLE_HOME/sysman/admin/emdrep/bin
$ ./RepManager pilot.calgb 1521 calp1 -action drop
5) dbca reinstall via reconfigure database
6) emca (w/options) reinstall over dbca, but first drop EM
from database again and leave dbconsole running when you
start emca. During emca you will be prompted: "Make
sure that DBConsole has been shutdown. When you
are ready to continue, press <Enter>"
At this time stop dbconsole, and if you have dropped
EM from database second time, this will succeed. You
will be able to open browser and run EM at
http://myhost:5502/em/console/aboutApplication

Steps 1-5 should fix up EM for cluster/asm, but insufficient.
Step six trick get EM working on top of cluster, with
limitations. If you only do step 6, some tests show s/w
missing from dbca install. (my opinions)

My question is about step #6. I've checked the docs
on emca and command line options. It appears
the correct options should be one of two:

$ emca -c -a
or
$ emca -a -n mynode    {-n superceeds -c}

(c = cluster, a = asm,  n = node w/cluster)

Why does the neither configuration above work for me?
Can anyone help, or workaround, or different results?

In the first case I get an Java exception, no matter
what parameters I use to answer the questions. I
know the correct answers because I can successfully
configure EM using one parameter or the other, e.g.
emca -c or emca -a, but not both.

And, the second command gives this error:

"Apr 8, 2005 1:27:34 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig
perform
INFO: Current version of Database Control does not
support ASM targets for RAC"

Now hold on a second!  I thought ASM was mandatory
with RAC on standard edition. Okay, its just EM that
is unsupported on SE?

Therefore, it appears to me (in my vacuum of knowledge
always seeking guidance) that EM on SE RAC/ASM
can only be configured with a new database install
via dbca. That seems like a heavy limitation in any
recovery scenario. I am glad to receive any workarounds,
ideas, or suggestions, condolences, snickers, .... :-)

My versions are 10g 10.1.0.3 (I have not tested 10.1.0.4
and its dbca) and RHEL 3 LINUX.

Regards,

Mike Thomas

PS: When they say EM has extra 'cost' options for
SE, I thought they meant $$$ not pain? ;-)