Re: Problem upgrading from Windows 2000 Oracle 8.0.6 to Oracle

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:26:03 -0700

You likely need to investigate the 9.2 tnsnames.ora file.  It probably
needs to be modified to include the 8.0.6 database information.

The DBCA is getting the info from the registry, but that doesn't help
you with creating a database connection.

"Paul Vincent" <Paul.Vincent@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/17/2004 07:37 AM
Please respond to

Problem upgrading from Windows 2000 Oracle 8.0.6 to Oracle

Hi everybody,

I've just installed Oracle onto a Windows 2000 server which was
currently running Oracle 8.0.6 with a single instance on it. I noticed
that during the installation, I wasn't presented with the Upgrading An
Existing Database screen. This may be significant! I didn't think anything
of it, since I intended to run the Database Upgrade Assistant
independently after installing 9.2.

The installation went smoothly. I then checked that the 8.0.6 db instance
was still up and running, by connecting to it from my office workstation.
Yes, fine. Back to the server, and I fired up Database Upgrade Assistant
from the Oracle 9.2 program group. After the Welcome screen it showed the
panel which did indeed list my 8.0.6 database. I selected it, gave a
userid with the necessary SYSDBA privileges, and a password, and clicked
on next. Then I got an error message: ORA-12203: TNS unable to connect to

Now, presumably this means I've got something wrongly configured on the
server, such that it can't connect to its own local database. Any ideas at
all, as to where I should start looking, would be very greatly

Best regards,

Paul Vincent
Database Administrator
University of Central England