Re: Privileges on directory object are failing

Gabriel,

    It looks like you are missing the keyword "directory" on the commands:

You have:

GRANT WRITE ON "SYS"."DIR_NB" TO "AC";

It should be:

GRANT WRITE ON DIRECTORY "SYS"."DIR_NB" TO "AC";

Alan Aschenbrenner
Senior Database Administrator
Information Handling Services Inc.
alan.aschenbrenner@xxxxxxx
(303)-858-6394

Confidentiality Notice: The information in this e-mail may be confidential
and / or privileged. This e-mail is intended to be reviewed by only the
individual or organization named in the e-mail address. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination
or copying of this e-mail and attachments, if any, or the information
contained herein, is strictly prohibited.

                      "Aragon, Gabriel

                      (GE Commercial            To:
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Finance)"                 cc:

                      <gabriel.aragon@ge        Subject:  Privileges on
directory object are failing
                      .com>

                      Sent by:

                      oracle-l-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      07/14/2005 03:07

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      gabriel.aragon

Hi list, oracle 9.2.0.6.0, SunOS 5.8 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire

this is making me crazy,  I have 2 directories created:

CREATE OR REPLACE DIRECTORY "DIR_NB" AS
'-------------------NB';

CREATE OR REPLACE DIRECTORY "DIR_ND" AS
'-------------------ND';

I have 2 users:

CREATE USER "AC"  PROFILE "DEFAULT"
    IDENTIFIED BY "AC" DEFAULT TABLESPACE "---"
    TEMPORARY TABLESPACE "TEMP"
    ACCOUNT UNLOCK;

GRANT CREATE ANY TABLE TO "AC";
GRANT CREATE SNAPSHOT TO "AC";
GRANT UNLIMITED TABLESPACE TO "AC";
GRANT EXECUTE ON  "SYS"."DBMS_SYSTEM" TO "AC";
GRANT "CONNECT" TO "AC";
GRANT "RESOURCE" TO "AC";
CREATE USER "NV"  PROFILE "DEFAULT"
    IDENTIFIED BY "NV" DEFAULT TABLESPACE "---"
    TEMPORARY TABLESPACE "TEMP"
    ACCOUNT UNLOCK;

GRANT CREATE ANY TABLE TO "NV";
GRANT UNLIMITED TABLESPACE TO "NV";
GRANT EXECUTE ON  "SYS"."DBMS_SYSTEM" TO "NV";
GRANT "CONNECT" TO "NV";
GRANT "RESOURCE" TO "NV";
and privs for dirs are:

drwxrwxrwx   96 Jul 14 15:24 ND
drwxrwxrwx   96 Jun 23 13:49 NB

but when I try to assing privs:

SQL> GRANT READ ON DIRECTORY "SYS"."DIR_NB" TO "AC";

Grant succeeded.

SQL> GRANT READ ON DIRECTORY "SYS"."DIR_ND" TO "AC";

Grant succeeded.

SQL> GRANT WRITE ON "SYS"."DIR_NB" TO "AC";

GRANT WRITE ON "SYS"."DIR_NB" TO "AC"

*

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

SQL> GRANT WRITE ON "SYS"."DIR_ND" TO "AC";

GRANT WRITE ON "SYS"."DIR_ND" TO "AC"

*

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

SQL> GRANT WRITE ON DIRECTORY "DIR_NB" TO "NV";

Grant succeeded.

SQL> GRANT READ ON DIRECTORY "DIR_NB" TO "NV" ;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> GRANT WRITE ON DIRECTORY "DIR_ND" TO "NV";

Grant succeeded.

SQL> GRANT READ ON DIRECTORY "DIR_ND" TO "NV" ;

Grant succeeded.

Write privilege on directories works for user NV but fails for user AC,
what am I missing here???? No luck on metalink or google.

TIA
Gabriel