Re: Privileges by session

  • From: Michael Fontana <michael.fontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Thomas LaPorte <Thomas.LaPorte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:49:14 -0600 (CST)

There are standardized security protocols in the market to handle such issues,
were they unable
to be dealt with by removing them from the code.

Ideally, there should be no hard-coded passwords in application source.  This
is very dangerous in that
it can be easily uncovered by outside entities, which is even a bigger problem
than internal people having access.

Secondly, even if this were true, we've had developers send the source code to
security and operations with
instructions on how to change and compile the code before implementation, so
that the developers would not know
it's value.

It all comes down to the political necessity of securing applications.  It is
not a technical issue at all.
When there are tasks to be done to secure an application, and a company doesn't
really want to pay the cost to
implement it, this indicates it's true priority.