Re: Primary Keys optional?

  • From: "Michael McMullen" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:16:36 -0400

Well we do a lot of reporting on telco devices. Routers, servers, switches etc. No pk or unique indexes. Just goes straight into various rollup tables. The only uniqueness will be in the timestamps. So not much point. We also keep track of customer orders for a service, say highspeed.The order doesn't just come from one system but 4 or 5 systems each using a different customer identifier. Hard to do pk-fk there and again you might only know the last order because it's got the latest timestamp. However, we do create tables with a single complete picture of orders which do have pk/fk constraints. I do stress that the optimizer loves information and pk/unique indexes are great info, but you can get alot of performance out of not null constraints and indexes.
I would like to say that any user entry system we design is all pk/fk based but that would be wishful thinking on my part.

Mike