From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Marquez, Chris
Sent: 16 August 2005 22:13
To: oradba.la@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Please help me get RMAN going with Tivoli

Manjula,

Realize that there is more than one way to do things in life on UNIX.
Meaning you could copy the contents of a dir to a dir or make a soft link to
it, etc.

In the end I set up a dir for Oracle that was kind like my Oracle/Tivoli
home...*separate from the Tivoli-TDPO and Oracle DB software install.

You need;
dsm.opt - config/parameter file
dsm.sys - config/parameter file
<ORACLE_SID>_tdpo.opt - config/parameter file
TDPO.<HOST-SEVER-NODENAME> - password file
dsmtca - soft link
en_US -  soft link

---------------------------
DATABASE SERVER - Where the Oracle Database to be backuped is located!
---------------------------
/o01/app/oracle/tivoli/
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   insdba       745 May 20 14:29 dsm.opt
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   insdba      1117 May 22 14:17 dsm.sys
-rw-r--r--   1 root     insdba        57 May 22 14:27 TDPO.aixsvr1ora
lrwxrwxrwx   1 oracle   insdba        39 May 22 14:59 dsmtca ->
/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/dsmtca
lrwxrwxrwx   1 oracle   insdba        38 May 29 12:29 en_US ->
/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/en_US
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   insdba       535 Jul 25 12:22 <ORACLE_SID>_tdpo.opt
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   insdba       535 Jul 25 12:22 <ORACLE_SID>_tdpo.opt
-rw-r-----   1 oracle   insdba       535 Jul 25 12:22 <ORACLE_SID>...

You will also need to configure Oracle to *talk* to tape...not hard.

You got to get TPDO talking to TSM, and Oracle talking to TDPO (tape).

I will send you some notes I wrote and saved;
 - Configure Oracle Database for RMAN Backups.txt
 - Configure Tivoli-TDPO for RMAN Backups.txt
 - tdpo.opt - dsm.opt - dsm.sys File Config.txt

I took me over a week my 1st time (years ago) and still took me time every set
up a new sever.
The are server "ping" like test that you can and should do along the way to
make sure things are talking.

The IBM documentation must be much better these days?

Good luck

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA