Re: Please a parameter to disable undo, like _disable_logging

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:24:21 +0100 (BST)

I can't see why the OP needs to disable anything to load 10,000,000 rows into a
table.

This test just done on my old clunker laptop:

SQL> create table T tablespace users nologging
  2  as select rownum x from x$ksmmem
  3  where rownum <= 10000000;

Table created.

Elapsed: 00:00:07.69

7 seconds!  No hacking around with underscore parms etc, just a little
nologging and the job's
done.  I would imagine that even the most mediocre of departmental style test
servers could
deliver 10mill rows even faster than 7 seconds.

*Creating* great swathes of test data is never a performance problem - what to
do with it once
you've created it is typically more the challenge.

hth
connor

 --- Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Direct-path or APPEND inserts do avoid undo, except for the space-management
> stuff in the data dictionary.
>
> Direct-path loads data into TEMPORARY segments which, upon successful
> completion of the load (a.k.a. commit), are converted into DATA segments.
> Upon unsuccessful completion of the load (a.k.a. rollback), the TEMPORARY
> segments are simply dropped.
>
> Look ma, no undo...
>

> on 10/5/04 9:33 PM, John Clarke at jclarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > /*+ append */ disables redo, not undo (as does =5Fdisable=5Flogging).
> >
> > Array/bulk inserts will reduce the amount of undo you generate, so this =
> > method will help.  But you can't avoid undo altogether.
> >
> > At least you're not updating or deleting the 10,000,000 rows.
> >
> > John

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"
ISBN: 1590592174

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com