RE: Pinning/keeping plans in shared pool

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Boris Dali" <boris_dali@xxxxxxxx>, <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>, <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:48:16 -0700

Thanks Mark - you were right on, I did miss the lower portion of Boris'
email.  I had read Tanel's comments earlier though and also the white
paper that Tanel referenced, and my understanding from both was that
cursor_space_for_time=true *does* make the plan/heap6 stay pinned along
with the metadata/heap0, but *only* as long as the cursor is open - here
are the pertinent statements from the white paper (available here:
http://download-west.oracle.com/oowsf2005/003wp.pdf):

p.18: "Cursor_space_for_time is an initialization parameter which can be
used for optimizing the repeated execution of cursors that are parsed
once and kept open.  The distinction is important: the cursor must
remain open for cursor_space_for_time to apply" . . . "Unlike
session_cached_cursors where only heap 0 of the cursor is pinned, with
cursor_space_for_time we pin the entire cursor in the pool until the
cursor is closed"

So if this white paper is correct, then cursor_space_for_time=true won't
help in my case because the cursor is closed after execution.  I might
test it though just to be sure - maybe there is some special effect that
the white paper fails to mention when cursor_space_for_time=true is used
in conjunction with dbms_shared_pool.keep.

Regards,
Brandon