Re: Physical Read Waits less than Physical Reads

As Dion said, one reason for this "anomaly" is multiblock read. Oracle has been
using incorrect terms for many years; "physical reads" means number of times of
physical reads in some places and blocks which were physically read in some
other places. A long time ago, I wrote a short note about it:
http://yong321.freeshell.org/computer/diskreadunit.txt

An easy way to check is something like this:

create table test as select * from dba_tables;
insert into test select * from test;
--repeat if you wish

--get SID for this session and in another session watch v$sess_io and
v$session_event (only check 'db file % read')
--find the number of blocks not completely empty; I use the bottom script at
http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/Dbms_Space.txt

alter system flush buffer_cache;
select /*+ full(t) */ count(*) from test t;

V$sess_io should show physical_reads increase matching the blocks that have
been read.

Yong Huang