Re: Physical CPU? or multicore?

  • From: J Buchanan <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amar.padhi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:30:51 -0400

Having said all that the CPU is not the unit of measurement I am not
concerned with. How many IOPS against given storage (or if really
pushed Java/C# TPS) would be my measurement, and it would be on a
per-server basis.

I totally agree - storage is the lifeblood of a database and is often taken for granted.

DBAs that are lucky enough to not have IO throughput issues are lucky people. Those of us who have to deal with poor IO performance fight a (usually tremendous) uphill battle to get it improved.