RE: Permissions in PL/SQL

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <HANDM@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:28:51 -0400

I'll take stab.

You have to have a direct grant to execute privilege within any
procedure, function package etc. (not a role).   So SYS would have to
grant directly to owner of code.

If owner A owned some code, and users b, c, and d wished to execute
A.code with AUTHID current_user.

Owner A could not compile his code without having the grant... leaving
you back at the beginning.   Now Owner A could just grant execute on
A.code to users b, c, and d...    With AUTHID, now users, b, c, and d
have to also have the ability to execute select statements on X tables
which is more administration.

A better example of AUTHID would be if owner A owned procedure A.code,
and users b, c, and d wanted to execute the code, but the code would
manipulate data owned by each user respectively, b's tables, c's tables,
d's tables...

Others can concur, or point out mistakes.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546