Perl and DBI (5.6 and 5.8)

  • From: "Hallas, John, Tech Dev" <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:45:08 -0000

Using Activestate Perl 5.8 with DBI version 1.45

When I try a DBI connect to Oracle it fails with=20
"install_driver(Oracle) failed; Can't locate DBD/Oracle.pm in @INC

A colleague suggests Oracle started charging for the use of something in =
5.8 and therefore DBI with Oracle has been withdrawn.

I think my options are that I use Activestate 5.6 or get all the =
components down from CPAN and build the DBI package myself. Seeing as =
how I am almost just starting with Perl that seems a bit excessive and =
it is on a PC for my learning purposes only
Does all that sound reasonable?

I think I will download 5.6 rather than complicating matters by using =
CPAN and trying to compile the package, unless anybody has a better =
suggestion

John

=20