RE: Perl DBI connection with RAC environment

Thanks Peter for Detailed response

Peter McLarty <p.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        Yes thats it as you can sqlplus to the sansrv you can dbi to the sansrv
I loose the host ip and let dbi find its way with tnsnames and let oracle Net
do the work for me

  But if you have set up tnsname to have sansrv as a service with mumtliple
hosts then you can specify the tnsnames entry for it and then you are in action
as your tnsnames will have all nodes in its entry.

  STUDD1 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = host-vip)(PORT = 1521))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = bhost-vip)(PORT = 1521))
      (LOAD_BALANCE = yes)
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = STUDD1.example.com)
      (FAILOVER_MODE =
        (TYPE = SELECT)
        (METHOD = BASIC)
        (RETRIES = 180)
        (DELAY = 5)
      )
    )
  )
  With this the Oracle Net takes over working out which instance to connect to
and if a node fails then load balancing simply relocates your connection to a
new node
  I have this in a perl script for connecting and use the database name not the
instance for the variable $_[0] this is used for an admin scripthence the / as
username

  Seems to work relaibly although not been used in production

    my $dsn = "dbi:Oracle:$_[0]";
  my $dbh = DBI->connect( $dsn, '/', '',
  {
  ora_session_mode => 2,