Re: Perl Book Recommendations

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:18:47 -0500

No RTFM's  here. The question is not stupid, and there aren't many manuals
around. Yes, DBI is still the best way to do it. Drivers are stable and work
really, really well. The latest version does differ from the book in that it
returns new hash reference each time it's called and that there is new
DBD::Oracle
field called: ora_check_sql, but that's about it. If I wanted to throw a RTFM at
you, I wouldn't bother giving you the whole literature list. A long, long time
ago,
in a version far, far away, there used to be something called oraperl, which
was using routines like &ora_login (at those ancient times, routines were called
with the "&" prefix) but nobody is using it any more. Even I have converted all
my scripts to perl5 some 4 years ago and I'd have to look really hard to find
oraperl
manuals now. I don't see any other purpose to those old manuals now but to
torture
somebody into submission. That means that Jared might still have them (wicked
grin).

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA