Re: Performance impact of MONITORING and GATHER_STALE

  • From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:01:11 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Niall Litchfield wrote:

> My view is that whilst gather_stale is a step in the right direction,
> it is predicated upon a bad assumption (or rather a rule of thumb)
> that changes of 10% are significant for all tables and changes of less
> than 10% aren't. If you could do ALTER TABLE T MONITORING THRESHOLD x%
> then I'd be more inclined to go along with it.

Well even if Oracle failed to include this, we can do it ourselves.  I
just have a little PL/SQL block that does this manually, generating a
list of tables where ( inserts+updates+deletes > num_rows/2
    or truncated = 'YES'
    or sysdate - last_analyzed > 30 )

Then I iterate over the list of tables and estimate or compute with
dbms_stats based on size.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting