Re: Patching RAC

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:27:21 +0300

Hello Lisa

2) I do not open the database to general use during patching, RAC or no RAC.
Let me finish the upgrade in peace and I will give you a working database AFTER I finish.
3) Check the docs, and see if there are corrections for the CRS.
I will recommend running the patch against all three homes, just to be sure. I do not check CPU for specific corrections. I just run it against all homes.

About the template databases, I never use them.
They are usually in version x.0.1 and you have to upgrade then.

I first install software only and upgrade and patch it, then I build a database from scratch.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Koivu, Lisa wrote:

My questions are:

   1. Has anyone ever had a CPU patch go south because the database
      was in use?
   2. Am I the only one who is nervous running something that is
      modifying the data dictionary while the database is open for
      general use?
   3. Are there CPU patches for the clusterware?  I don't see any.

And as a tidbit, to those of you who may not already know this: When creating a database with dbca, don't use the template databases if you can avoid it (general purpose, data warehouse, transaction processing). These preconfigured databases save time within the database creation process, but they include the java engine within the database. It takes a long time to patch the jvm.