Re: Partitioning problems - Oracle 8.1.7.4

  • From: "jaromir nemec" <jaromir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Tony.Adolph@xxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:49:14 +0100

Hi Tony,

> Because I have a global PK index I thought

> that letting the table grow would

> have an adverse affect on performance for this index, so archiving a

> partition off would make sense.

Yes, that is true, but on the other side you loose the control of
uniqueness; a duplicated record could be re-entered after archiving the
former one.

If you check the unique constraint (i.e. non of the records in the temporary
table exists in the partitioned table) *before* each exchange partition
(and you move the duplicated records in an exception table before the
exchange) you probably don't need the global index at all.

Regards

Jaromir