Re: Partitioning in 9.2 without ANALYZING tables

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: g_vikas@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:54:41 -0600

Vikas,

> We have a legacy oracle 9.2 database with no, repeat no, statistics as we
> run rule based (dont ask why) optimizer.
> However, I want to partition the tables and one of our contractors made some

My understanding was that partitioning was added to Oracle after the
CBO was created, so Oracle chose not to go back and update the RBO to
make it partition-aware.

Did your management pay money ($, pesos, rubles, euro, etc.) to
license the Oracle Partitioning Option. If they didn't forget the
whole issue. If they did pay for it, talk to them about how they need
to get their money's worth.

First, propose to add statistics. Figure out the critical queries
being performed today, and on your test system try those same queries
to ensure the query plan isn't changed. When everyone is confident,
then apply statistics to productions. Once that settles down, then
start partitioning.

Dennis Williams