Partitioning in 9.2 without ANALYZING tables

  • From: "Vikas Gautam" <g_vikas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:19:02 -0600

We have a legacy oracle 9.2 database with no, repeat no, statistics as we run
rule based (dont ask why) optimizer.

Please dont tell me about the reasons to go cost based as I know and have
pushed but mgt. had not agreed.

However, I want to partition the tables and one of our contractors made some
noise that partitioning cannot be 'performant' (e.g indexes wont be used
without explicit hints if you had partitioned tables).

My question is whether this is true and unless we analyze the tables first (and
move to CBO) we cannot do partitioning.

Thanks
Vikas