Re: Partition exchange

  • From: Landrum Darrell <darrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tim@xxxxxxxxx" <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:40:59 -0500

"Exchange partition never moves the data"?
If you exchange partition from a partitioned table in one tablespace to a table in a different tablespace, the data has to be moved and that would create reads on the source table.

Darrell Landrum

On Mar 14, 2008, at 8:01 PM, Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is not true. Exchange partition *never* moves data in the table -- for this or any other reason. The "db file scattered read" wait-event is a read, not a write, so something is being scanned for some reason...

Darrell Landrum wrote:
Hey Ken,

When doing the partition exchange to a different tablespace, all of the data has to be moved. Data dictionary updates "only" would only apply if keeping the segments in the same tablespace.

On Mar 12, 2008, at 7:35 PM, Ken Naim wrote:

I am in the process of moving the partitions of a table from ASSM to a non-assm tablespace using the partition exchange method (create non partitioned table, indexes, constraints etc.). When I do the alter table exchange partition including indexes without validation command it runs for hours, doing a full table scan on all the partitions of the partitioned table which takes many hours. I understood that just the data dictionary is updated, and it should take a few seconds. Primary Wait event is db file scattered read. Can anyone shed some light on this phenomenon. DB version is and is running on Solaris 10.