Parallel update on non-partitioned tables - allowed at 10/11g?

  • From: cam <kadmon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:30:41 +0000

Hello all,

I know this issue comes up reasonably frequently in one form or another, but
I would just like to get opinions on a simple question: is it possible to
run parallel updates on a non-partitioned table at 10g and later?

I ask because I see occasional discussions about this which suggest it *is*
possible, but there is the following - to me, fairly definitive - statement
in the 11g docs:

"UPDATE, MERGE, and DELETE operations are parallelized by partition or
subpartition. Update, merge, and delete parallelism are not possible within
a partition, nor on a nonpartitioned table. See "Limitation on the Degree of
a possible restriction."

So, it seems clear this is not allowed. Right?