RE: PL/SQL Development Tool Of Choice

  • From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rjamya@xxxxxxxxx" <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>, "william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 13:18:41 +0000

Thanks for sharing that link Raj!

Now I'll admit I haven't thoroughly read all 50+ emails in this chain, but I'll
toss out an opinion that's a bit off from others.  I tried TOAD and for me it
was just way too busy.  It seemed like everything I'd ever want to do was found
somewhere in some menu choice, but being new to it overwhelmed me.  I'm not
against learning new things (I even switched from SQL*Worksheet to SQL
Developer years back), but I need it simple and since I hadn't grown up on TOAD
I felt without long training I wouldn't be able to be efficient with it.  For
me it was kind of like OEM/GC/EM - I know some DBA admin features are available
in some menu choice, but their location seems to change each release and by the
time I figure it out I could have issued the function on 800 different
databases using the command line.  I use EM for a lot of different things but
mostly I'm poking around in sqlplus.

Now that I think about it, it's probably due to a personality flaw.  I'm too
proud to think a tool can do something better than I can with my own knowledge
of the system and Oracle.

DAVID HERRING
DBA
Acxiom Corporation
EML   dave.herring@xxxxxxxxxx
TEL    630.944.4762
MBL   630.430.5988
1501 Opus Pl, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA
WWW.ACXIOM.COM